February 28, 2017
The March miscellany of musings from Mark include...
- Does cramped dealer space reduce sales?
- tracking where show enquiries come from and whether they turn into bookings is vital
- what do you do when a trick goes wrong? - why this is really an unimportant question
- no, not retiring, just a change of the way MLM products are delivered
- a reflection on the 'explosion' of lecturers doing the rounds on the UK magic club circuit
- why Bark are causing show fees to be pushed down
- early influences can shape our magic future
January 31, 2017
This month I discuss the following topics:
- Reflections on the January 2017 Session Convention in London
- Jamie Raven scores well with some radio magic and gives us all something to learn from the way he did it
- how ill do you have to be before you will consider backing out of a show booking?
- teaching total beginners magic skills in the MLM Academy makes me realise how basic the initial information may need to be
- a magic conundrum for commercial close uppers at dinners is revealed
- when is the right time to put up your show fees?
December 31, 2016
Start the new year with the following podcast topics:
- Being a performer means we work when others aren't and prevents us from enjoying our own social lives
- having the confidence to change your performing environment can be important to the success of your show
- I reflect on the number of magical podcasts that are now available
- where will the hand crafted wooden magic props come from in the future?
- sometimes we can be unaware of how loud our music or voice amp needs to be
- audio books provide an interesting way to learn
- are the days of the general theatrical agent numbered as the internet provides bookers with all the info they need?
November 30, 2016
The festive Podcast features discussion on the following topics:
- I reflect that this completes exactly 4 years of the Podcast
- December's shows put a strain on us and our props in a way that virtually no other month usually does
- having used PR earlier this year, I consider whether it is a good way to handle self promotion
- Deciding How Long To Perform For - listen for free to this marketed Mark's Monthly Message Audio File
- I ponder on how it can take a long time often to become an 'overnight' success
- what's the ideal time to arrive at a gig?
October 31, 2016
The November bag of topics includes:
- Email or 'phone - which is
your preferred method to receive show enquiries? I look at the pros and
cons of both
- I ponder on whether the very young and very old get a
disproportionate amount of credit for the magic that they do
- life on
the road - I get a glimpse of what real itinerant performers have to
- MLM will be turning completely digital next year
importance of video on magic websites cannot be underestimated
Reyes extols the virtues of correct methods of practice and I discuss
why he's right to do so
September 30, 2016
Your October fest of comment and chat this month covers the following:
- The Cumbrian Conjurers
Collective meets again
- a month proves a long time in magic for Stan
Allen and Magic Magazine
- barking up the wrong tree? - I discuss the
merits or otherwise of an online magic 'agency'
- putting new magic into your act may be nerve wracking sometimes but is it also hugely beneficial?
- I consider whether live over-the-counter product dems have much
importance in this online age
- how to decide which group or table to
approach first at a gig
- observations on how exhibitors interract with
potential customers at a wedding fair
August 31, 2016
The new magic season podcast contains the following:
- Reflections on the new magic season
- magicians tend to
try to do everything in their magic lives rather than getting
professionals to help with key areas of promotion and advertising
end of Magic Magazine causes shock waves
- what is your USP that will
help you to get a good conversion rate of enquiries to bookings?
- Dynamo's transition from the small TV screen to big arenas
- I offer a sample recording of one of my It Could Only Happen Live stories
- news of the release of a further six Audio File Downloads
July 31, 2016
This is what you can expect in the August edition...
- Why we should all embrace the age we are and concentrate some of our
marketing directly on those bookers who are attracted to performers of
our particular age
- how I have continued to cope with being a Jeremy
- I discuss a new event aimed at those who want to
learn how to get to grips with marketing themselves
- Public Domain -
how do you define which tricks fall into this category and who makes the
decision about it in the first place?
- some Mark's Monthly Messages
are now being made available as downloadable audio files
performance makes everything the performer does so slick that the way
the magician handles his props can be as appealing as the magic itself
- a lay person asks me why there aren't more women in magic
June 30, 2016
In July I am looking at the following topics:
- I consider the luck involved in getting show bookings and how it is hard to predict when they will come along
- here's a theory for why Richard Jones came first on BGT, and Jamie Raven only achieved a second place
- being a creature of habit helps me to achieve long running features for magicians
- I ask the question of whether, if the fee was right, you would take on any type of show?
- crowdfunding - the future of magic project capitalisation?
- sometimes we need perhaps to put the brakes on when performing to avoid putting our foot in it!
- necessity is the mother of invention, especially for creative magicians
May 31, 2016
Here's what you'll find in the June offering:
- I look back at my recent
tour of the USA and reflect on what it was like
- do you tend to get
more shows at a distance from where you live rather than very locally,
and if so, why do think that is?
- I talk about a brand new release that
I am excited about
- I look at why pro performers are often so slick
in the way that they perform
- the problems that summer heat or general
weather conditions can cause for you and your props
- how we can harness
lay people's perception of our magic to our benefit
- exactly what is
it that makes comedy funny? - I discuss the factors that need to come
together for comedy to work